History of the Hindoo Society
Early records indicate that the activities of the Hindoo Community of Harare commenced with an informal committee formed to obtain some land and construct a crematorium, in about 1916 AD. A proper crematorium was later built on a site allocated by the municipality, which was completed in 1942.
In 1923/24 The idea of forming a Hindoo Society was muted, resulting information of a proper body and by 1928 Gujarati School was inaugurated, and in 1929 the Hindoo Temple was completed at Cameron street. Foundations for the school were marked by Shrinivas Sashstri who was India’s representative for Southern Africa, and for the Temple by Shri Laljee Dayalji Vashee.
The Community made a very courageous decision to have an Omkar as the centrepiece. This decision was to have a great influence in maintaining the unity of the community.
A small room was acquired to start a library in 1934/35. Later this was developed into a proper Library and named Bharat Library.
The Liberty Hall was built in 1957, to provide for the facilities the community Needed . Later as the facilities were developed in Ridgeview the Hall was rented out..
The Municipality , in an endevour to provide more suitable residential facility encouraged the community to move to and develop the Ridgeview area. A large plot was sold to the Community for developing a cultural centre.
Gujarati School, Hall, and later Dining Room, Nursery and then the Ridgeview Omkar Temple were built. Later developments, saw the beginnings of Westridge Primary School( 1992), and High School (1998), with sports grounds, swimming pools, tennis courts etc.
The Society continues to develop the Cultural Centre as funds permit, and as needs are identified.
President – Hindoo Society
For Profiles of Founding Members, please feel free to download "The South African Indian Who's Who" Directory